Tracking your days spent in Canada or the United States is important for various reasons. Here are some of the reasons:
- Avoiding overstays. To ensure that you are abiding by your temporary status obligations. This means, you are being mindful of the amount of time you are allowed to spend in the country and keeping track of your days so that you do not accidentally overstay. This is important to maintaining your eligibility for immigration programs and avoids being barred from Canada.
- Documenting your stay. Keeping track of your days can help you during a difficult border crossing, when you are spending a significant amount of time outside of your home country. It shows the officer that you are aware of your obligations and that you are diligently keeping track of your time. Although you can keep track of your time electronically, it is a good idea to also have a paper copy to avoid having your electronics searched during a border crossing.
- Residency obligations. Keeping track of your days is important after you become a permanent resident, if you travel abroad often. This helps you make sure that you are maintaining your residency obligations and not spending too much time abroad. Physical presence is important for renewal of permanent residency documents.
- Your immigration journey. Keeping track of your days is important after you become a permanent resident, to help with future applications. Did you know that some applications (for example, Citizenship applications) require you to list all of the dates you have spent abroad. It is easier to proactively keep track of this instead of retroactively trying to recreate the record. Immigration audits or requests for information may also request supporting documentation to verify what is included in your immigration application.
- Marriage Immigration. For marriage immigration, evidence of travel to see each other is helpful for showing proof of relationship, and genuineness.
Tracking the time you spend in Canada is not only important; it's a necessity. It helps you meet residency requirements, document your stay, avoid overstays, demonstrate your commitment, plan your immigration journey, and handle potential audits with confidence. Whether you're on a temporary visa, pursuing permanent residency, or aiming for Canadian citizenship, accurate time tracking is an essential step toward achieving your immigration goals.
To help you track your time in USA or Canada for immigration purposes, we are thrilled to announce that we are close to launching our immigration time planner. With this user-friendly tool, you can effortlessly monitor and record your time spent in Canada or USA, ensuring you meet residency requirements and stay on top of your immigration goals. Sign up for our newsletter, and you'll be among the first to know when our Immigration Time planner is released.
Stay tuned for more details and updates. Your path to a successful immigration journey starts here! 🇨🇦✈️🇺🇸